There is nothing more romantic than getting married on a lush tropical island and Grenada welcomes those who wish to tie the knot on its shores. Many of the hotels and resorts on the island offer special wedding and honeymoon packages as do several tour companies and businesses sole devoted to this market.
There is nothing more romantic than getting married on a lush tropical island and Grenada welcomes those who wish to tie the knot on its shores. Many of the hotels and resorts on the island offer special wedding and honeymoon packages as do several tour companies and businesses solely devoted to this market.
Of course there are legal requirements which have to be met for one to get married in Grenada. These are:
1. Visitors to the island must be a resident on the island a minimum of three (3) working days (this excludes weekends and public holidays) before applying for a license.
2. An application for a Marriage License is then made at the Prime Minister’s Office after the necessary stamp duty and license fees have been paid. This process takes approximately two days (slightly longer if either partner is divorced, as documents must then be sent to the Ministry of Legal Affairs).
Documents required for Marriage in Grenada are as follows:
- Valid Passports
- Birth Certificates
- If one of the parties is divorced, proof of a Decree Absolute
- Proof of Single Status: and affidavit, or a letter from a clergyman, lawyer, or registry on official letter head attesting to the fact that the parties involved have not been married previously
- If a name has been changed by Deed Poll, proof is necessary
- If either party has been widowed, a Death Certificate is needed
- If either party is under 21, evidence of parental consent is required in the form of an affidavit
- All papers must be in English. If the original papers are in another language, they should be translated into English and certified
Getting married in Grenada allows for an idyllic wedding day, an instant honeymoon and the vacation of a lifetime. With wedding backdrops of sea, surf and sand, waterfalls, rainforests, gardens, forts, and headlands, all with breath taking views, there is something to make every dream come true with little of the stress of planning that most special day.